School Programs Educate Parents on H1N1
Posted: November 2, 2009
Information Intended to Highlight Prevention and Mass Immunization Plans
A series of informational seminars intended to educate parents of school-aged children on the H1N1 influenza will be conducted in all Oneida County schools beginning with the first to be held on Wednesday, November 4thstarting at 6:30 PM at Westmoreland High School, County Executive Anthony J. Picente, Jr. and health department officials announced today.
“Parents need to know the risks of H1N1, steps that can be taken to reduce those risks and the County’s plans for mass immunization, before they, as parents, can make an informed decision on whether or not they want their child vaccinated,” Picente said. He continued, “I’ve directed our health department to go into each school at a time convenient for working parents and arm them with the knowledge they’ll need to deal with this health issue.”
Cathe Bullwinkle, R.N. and Quality Improvement Coordinator and Patrice Bogan, F.N.P., Director of Clinical Services for the Oneida County Health Department, will conduct the programs and address such topics as:
- What we know about the virus and how it differs from seasonal flu.
- Who’s at risk and who will be vaccinated first?
- Public Health measures we should be using to reduce exposure and spread of illness.
- Availability and types of vaccine.
- Plans for mass vaccination in the schools and Parental Consent Forms
“Each presentation will be followed by a question and answer period which will provide an opportunity to clarify some of the misinformation that’s out there,” said Dr. Daniel Gilmore, Acting Director of Health. “Many people have misconceptions about H1N1 influenza and the vaccine and we want to be sure these people have the facts before they decide to have their child vaccinated or choose to decline the shot..”
Seminars are scheduled throughout November and December as follows:
- Westmoreland Schools – November 4th beginning at 6:30 PM in the High School
- Notre Dame Elem./Jr./Sr. Schools - November 5th beginning at 7:00 PM in the H.S. gymnasium
- Remsen Schools – November 9th beginning at 7:00 PM in the elementary auditorium
- New York Mills Schools – November 10th beginning at 6:30 PM in the High School auditorium
- Oriskany Schools –November 10th beginning at 7 PM at the High School
- Holland Patent Schools– November 12th beginning at 6:30 PM in the High School gymnasium
- Camden Schools - November 16th beginning at 6:30 PM at the Middle School
- Sauquoit Schools – November 17th beginning at 5:30 PM at the H.S.
- Waterville Schools – November 17th beginning at 6:30 P.M. in the H.S. Auditorium
- Rome Catholic School – November 18th beginning at 6:00 PM
- Adirondack Schools – November 19th beginning 7:00 pm in the auditorium
- Clinton Schools – November 23rd beginning at 7:00 PM in the Performing Arts Bldg.
- New Hartford Schools– November 24th beginning at 6:30 P.M. at the High School
- Rome Public Schools – November 30th beginning at 6:30 PM at Staley Jr. High
- Utica Public Schools – December 1st beginning at 6:30 PM at Proctor H.S. Auditorium
- Whitesboro Schools – December 1st beginning at 6:30 PM in the H.S. Auditorium
- VVS Schools – December 2nd beginning at 6:30 PM in the H.S. Large Group Instruction Room
- New Hartford – December 9th beginning at 6:30 PM Location TBA
- Holy Cross Academy-Oneida Castle – December 14th at 6 PM
Parents are urged to attend the seminar at their child’s school as some information will be specific to that school.
Advance copies of the H1N1 Vaccine Information sheets and sample Parental Consent Forms can currently be found at www.ocgov.net. Go to ‘Quick Links’ on the left side of the Home Page and click on H1N1.