Picente Urges Caution to Seniors During Heat Wave
During the course of the next few days, Oneida County as well as the rest of the Region will be facing extreme temperatures and very high heat indexes.
“Unfortunately, dangerous increases in body temperatures are more likely to occur in the elderly,” said Oneida County Executive Anthony Picente, Jr. He went on to say, “I urge seniors, and all residents, to follow the precautions listed below and do your best to stay cool.”
- Drink plenty of cool fluids, nonalcoholic beverages. Avoid extremely cold liquids they can cause cramps.
- Take a cool shower, bath, or sponge bath.
- If possible, seek an air conditioned environment. If you don’t have air conditioning consider visiting an air conditioned shopping mall, public libraries, and senior centers.
- Wear light weight clothing.
- Remain indoors in the heat of the day.
- Do not engage in strenuous activities.