Mosquitoes - Ticks - Rabies
check back for 2019 Rabies Schedule
Proper Tick Removal
What causes Rabies?
- A virus
- The virus affects the brain and leads to death unless treated soon after exposure.
- Animals pass the virus to other animals and to humans when the animal bites.
- Any mammal can get rabies, but bats, skunks, foxes and raccoons are most common. Dogs, cats, and ferrets can get rabies and need their vaccinations (Click here for vaccination requirements).
How do I prevent Rabies?
- Stay away from strays and wild animals.
- If you have a bat in your home, don’t let it go! Safely capture the bat and call the health department 315-798-5064 for further instructions
- Learn how to safely capture a bat
- Vaccinate your pets
How to Catch A Bat