Public Defender - Criminal Division
The Public Defender, Criminal Division is charged with representing indigent criminal defendants throughout Oneida County. and on appeal to the Appellate Division, Fourth department and the New York State Court of Appeals. His authority extends to the 42 city, town and village courts within the county, Oneida County Court and parole violations and appeals. His jurisdiction also includes the defense of inmates accused of committing criminal offenses while incarcerated in one of the three state correctional facilities within Oneida County and the Central New York Psychiatric Center.
New York State Court of Appeals declares that Trial Courts must warn non-citizens of possibility of
deportation on felony pleas. See People v. Peque decided November 19, 2013.
|2013 Criminal Law Academy|
|2013 Upcoming Training Events|
|Criminal Track Training Materials|
|Power Point Presentations|
Assistant Public Defender (Criminal Division) - 3rd Assistant
The Public Defender, Criminal Division has a continuous recruitment program for attorneys. Any attorney interested in applying for a staff attorney position who is a member of the New York State Bar or has passed the bar and is awaiting admission may apply by submitting the following materials:
- A completed Oneida County Employment Application
- Certificate of Good Standing from the Appellate Division of admission or a copy of the official notification of bar passage;
- Complete resume including elementary education and all employment listing employers’ addresses and telephone numbers;
- Three (3) references with addresses and telephone numbers;
- A writing sample;
- Copy of a valid New York State driver’s license or current driver’s license.
Potential applicants may inquire if there is a present vacancy by contacting us at by mail or by email at PubDef@ocgov.net. Candidates will not be screened for interviews unless all materials have been submitted. All applications are kept on file for at least one (1) year.
Frank J. Nebush, Jr., Esq.
Oneida County Public Defender, Criminal Division
250 Boehlert Center
321 Main Street
Utica, New York 13501