Mohawk River Greenway Planning
Introduction to the project:
The Oneida County Department of Planning is involved in a project to develop a Comprehensive Greenway Plan for the
As the key product of this project, the Greenway Plan identifies key sites along the corridor that offer opportunities for recreation, open space preservation, flood plain protection, stormwater management, historic preservation, protection of critical environmental resources, river access, wildlife habitat protection, wetland restoration, and public education. In addition, the plan identifies specific actions, activities, and recommendations that will provide for a linkage of these resources and the various programs that exist.
The project has placed an emphasis on the planning process - especially the development of partnerships and public involvement within multiple communities in
Project Goals and Objectives: The goals and objectives of this project are to:
1) identify and protect key open space and natural areas having ecological, environmental, recreational, scenic and educational value within the corridor;
2) improve intermunicipal coordination as it relates to the great potential that exists for linking respective community centers and managing common resources;
3) provide for enhanced recreation and health benefits;
4) ensure continued compatible development and opportunities for new economic development;
5) provide alternative transportation modes; and
6) improve flooding and stormwater management capabilities in affected municipalities.
Project Documents: The following documents provide more specific information on the progress of the project…….
click below to view