Oneida County Stop DWI Program
The Special Traffic Options Program for Driving While Intoxicated was established by New York State Government on July 31, 1981. This law became effective on November 28, 1981 and provided the return of monies for drinking and driving violations to the counties in which they occurred, provided those counties established a "STOP-DWI" Program. The purpose of the STOP-DWI Program is to provide a, "...plan for coordination of county, town, city, village efforts to reduce alcohol-related traffic injuries and fatalities."
The Oneida County STOP-DWI Program was established in December of 1981. A plan is prepared yearly and is approved by the County Executive, Board of Legislators and New York State Department of Motor Vehicles.
Previous research has indicated that the most effective method of combating drinking and driving is to use the general deterrence model. This model gives priority to arresting those who drive while under the influence of alcohol; swift adjudication of individual cases; certain and severe punishment for those convicted; and publicity for the arrest and prosecution efforts.
|2015 Annual STOP-DWI High School Baseball Classic|
Key Components of the Oneida County STOP-DWI Program
- Law Enforcement - Selective enforcement units patrol at peak hours in high risk areas.
- Prosecution - Special prosecution unit in the Oneida County District Attorney's Office handles all DWI cases
- Probation - Dedicated officers within the Oneida County Probation Department are responsible for the coordination of all DWI cases, along with assisting with the Victim Impact Panel.
- Evaluation and Treatment - Central New York Services, Inc. Forensic Evaluation Unit evaluates and treats offenders who have been convicted of DWI and related offenses.
- Community Awareness and Education - Community awareness and education presentations for all interested groups. Programs are available and suitable for elementary, high schools and college age level groups, as well as all other community organizations.
- Victim Impact Panel - This aggressive sentencing initiative paints the real picture of what Driving While Intoxicated can do. Victims of drunk driving crashes speak directly to sentenced DWI offenders. Defendant's attitude and behavior are modified by showing the pain that someone's decision to drink and drive has caused.
- Detection and Enforcement Equipment - STOP-DWI purchases radar, breathalyzer and field screening devices, as well as police patrol vehicles to enhance Oneida County's aggressive effort at keeping the intoxicated motorist off the road.
Compliments of Convicted Drunk Drivers - Your STOP-DWI Program is 100 percent funded with Oneida County DWI Fines.
Oneida County STOP-DWI Program
200 Base Road, P.O. Box 908
Oriskany, New York 13424
Phone: 315.736.8946 Fax: 315.736.8958